[mythtv-users] MCE usb remote not working after upgrade

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 03:05:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2011 02:03 PM, Steve Greene wrote:
>> I never got the IR remotes working in two out of my three Mythbuntu machines (all upgrades from installs where lirc kind of worked). Between that and the sucky new Unity desktop interface, I'm about done with Ubuntu.
>
> Out of curiosity, isn't is possible to install RatPoison or Fluxbox or
> something and use that rather than Unity (or is Unity becoming too far
> integrated)?  I know they'll allow switching to GNOME 2 (and in 11.10,
> will allow switching to GNOME 3, since GNOME 2 is being replaced with
> the newer version), but since GNOME is a heavyweight desktop environment
> (DE) that's not really appropriate for a dedicated MythTV box, I'd hope
> you could similarly choose to use a lightweight window manager (WM),
> instead.
>
> Granted, possible does not necessarily mean easy, but I'd hope it would
> be at least relatively straightforward.

That should be possible. I believe (though I haven't run it up) that
mythbuntu 11.04 still uses xfce anyway, not unity. But if you start
with plain ubuntu and install the myth packages you will still have
unity. OTOH if you start with plain ubuntu and install
mythbuntu-desktop it should replace unity with xfce (thats how it
worked in the gnome days anyway.)