[mythtv-users] Myth backend: Console or GUI OS ? Init level 3 or init level 5 ?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Sep 12 18:34:29 UTC 2011

On 9/12/2011 14:18, linux guy wrote:
> I'm about to start building my Myth backend and I can't seem to find
> anything that discusses the pros and cons of installing the OS (Fedora
> 15) as console only or GUI, ie install KDE as well.
>
> So, other than a bit of disk space, is there any reason why I
> shouldn't install KDE when I set it up ?

MythTV is designed to run full screen, so there is little to know use in
running a full desktop environment such as KDE or Gnome that you will
never see.  That said, MythTV is not a window manager, and should not be
run without one.  Look at ratpoison, or evilwm, or icewm, or
enlightenment, or fluxbox.