[mythtv-users] Subtitle issues with DVD's

Neil Salstrom salstrom at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 15:05:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Sander Knopper <sander at knopper.tk> wrote:
>>
>> I also have the same issue when playing an mkv with embedded subtitles.
>
> Forced subtitles are not (yet) supported in MythTV.  It's coming
> shortly, however.
>
> Roebrt

Ahh....  I understand now.  I didn't realized what Forced subtitles
were (from Wikipedia):

Forced These are common on movies. Forced subtitles only provide
subtitles when the characters speak a foreign or alien language, or a
sign, flag, or other text in a scene is not translated in the
localization and dubbing process. In some cases, foreign dialogue may
be left untranslated if the movie is meant to be seen from the point
of view of a particular character who does not speak the language in
question.

This is exactly what I've encountered.  It does seem that preliminary
support is there but they are not turned on by default and you need to
select it (unless the subtitle tract on Babel and several others are
not true "forced").

Good to know what is going on.  I'll let this go now!

Thanks,

Neil