[mythtv-users] scheduler settling with conflicts where they are resolvable

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Sep 9 21:51:48 UTC 2011

On 09/09/2011 04:57 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On 11-09-09 03:23 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Sounds like what Kevin was talking about--where mythfilldatabase runs,
>> and listings change, which moves around recordings and such so that
>> things are placed differently.
> But that doesn't answer to the issue of settling with a schedule which
> conflicts when there are also idle tuners.
>
>> What tuners are what?
> 19-23 are a single digital tuner with multirec.  24 and 25 are two
> PVR-x50 tuners.
>
>> In the "not working" --printsched you posted, I
>> see the cards 19, 22, 23, 24, 25 in use for various recordings.
> On Sept. 22, at 21:00 there are no recordings "in progress" (i.e. all
> recordings prior to 21:00 end prior to 21:00) so all tuners are available.
>
>> Cards
>> 24 and 25 have channels like 32, 40, 44, etc.;
> Yes, those are the analog PVR-x50 tuners.
>
>> whereas, 19, 22,  and 23
>> have ones like 109-63 and 84-77 and 66-112.
> Right.  The digital multirecs of a single tuner.
>
>> Therefore, I assumed that
>> 24 and 25 are analog cards.
> Correct assumption.
>
>> I'm also assuming that 19 and 22 are 2
>> physically different tuners
> No, virtual/multirec tuners on the same physical digital tuner.
>
>> --because when it's recording The Office on
>> 19 and Grey's Anatomy on 22 (both on 109-xx channels),
> Right.  Which it can do on a single digital tuner.
>
>> it can't record
>> Person of Interest or Whitney (which both air on 84-xx channels).
> Right.  Person of Interest was a conflict and Whitney was being recorded
> earlier.  That Person of Interest conflict is a good example of
> something that could and should have been scheduled on one of the analog
> tuners.

Not according to the printsched output you posted.   The one and only
occurrence of Person of Interest on that schedule is:

2011-09-08 08:13:57.424734 I  Person of Interest - Pilot         84-77 WWNY    22 21:00-22:00  2 0 0  A C -3

So, if you're saying there's now a showing on one of your analog
channels, that is probably one of the things that changed that caused
the scheduler to "strangely" schedule/place things differently such that
you didn't need an override--exactly what Kevin was talking about where
more information becomes available allowing MythTV to better optimize
usage of resources.  (Of course, before you do add any channel
priorities, please read and understand all of
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-12.html because it will have
other effects. :)  Adding a negative priority to the Ontario channels
(preferred approach) or a positive priority to the NY channels (a worse
approach of attempting to solve the same problem) will actually mean
that MythTV may choose to record a -3 priority show on WWNY rather than
a -2 priority show that airs only on CJOH.)

>> If that's correct, I'm also assuming that since you have a card 19 and
>> cards 22, 23, and 24--with no 20 or 21--
> There is indeed a 20 and 21 on the digital tuner.  At least that's what
> mythweb's status page tells me.
>
>> and that 19 and 22 were assumed
>> to be different physical tuners, that 23 and 24 are both virtual tuners
>> on the same physical card as 22.
> No, not at all.  See above.
>
>> So, once it assigned The Office to card 19 and Grey's Anatomy to 22
>> (first 2 shows in priority order), and Grey's Anatomy had locked the
>> physical tuner on 22 to a mux, it had painted itself into a corner.
> But there's no corner.  Analog tuners 24 and 25 were still available to
> be schedule on.
>
>> If 19 is multirec capable, you really need to check the multirec
>> configuration--as it seems to be broken.
> What should I check specifically, given that the scheduler and recorder
> can schedule and record from the multirec card the other 95% of the time.

How about you post your capturecard and cardinput tables along with the
schedule on your website instead of making me guess at all the possible
different configurations you might have that might make a difference?
:)  And, really, based on what you've said above, I'd like to see your
channel table, too.

It may just be that--because you have some, but not all, shows airing at
the same time on the Ontario channels and because it's preferring the
Ontario channels--you just need to put a -1 priority on the Ontario
channels so it will use the New York channels, which have more shows on
the same mux (assuming 84-XX channels are one mux and 109-XX channels
are a separate one).

>> Basically, my recommendation is the capture card portion of
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/264034#264034 (and
>> then being very careful to re-configure things the way you want/the way
>> that maximizes the use of multirec).
> That's what I followed when I reconfigured my tuners just recently.

If you had done that, your capture cards and inputs should all be
starting at 1, not 19.  So, it seems you may have done that before, but
have since changed things around?

Mike