[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2250 vs SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR-US

Josh Rosenberg mythtv at desh.info
Thu Sep 8 02:16:16 UTC 2011

> Message: 16
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 12:41:21 -0400
> From: George Nassas <gnassas at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2250 vs SiliconDust
>        HDHomeRun HDHR-US
> To: Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> On 2011-09-07, at 10:32 AM, Josh Rosenberg wrote:
>
>> I recently had an unwatchable channel like that.  They looked at the
>> logs and told me that the sort of data they saw was often caused by RF
>> interference from other electronics near the HDHR.  Sure enough, my
>> router was sitting right on top of the HDHR.  I moved things around,
>> and the problem cleared right up.
>
> Interesting, how far away did you have to move the HDHR? I have one that's flakey on channels that don't make sense (they're nearby and come up well on my TV). Did they say move it to the other side of the room or just 12 or 18 inches away from other devices?
>
> - George

They didn't specify, but moving 12 inches or so was all I did, and it
worked great.  The particular symptom that this fixed, if I remember
correctly, was adequate signal and symbol strength, but symbol quality
that kept dropping off (and, obviously, an unencrypted channel).

But again, I'd suggest contacting Silicondust directly if you're
having trouble; their support department is quite responsive and can
have access to your particular data if necessary.

Josh