[mythtv-users] Rescan from the command line

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 7 18:41:14 UTC 2011

On 09/07/2011 01:52 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 07/09/11 16:33, Clay wrote:
>> Ian Oliver wrote:
>>> Ignore me - I've never used the Y option. Will try tonight.
>>>
>> I use x forwarding:
>> ssh -X (IP of MBE)
>>
> As I understand it, Y gives you the option of root access. You did want to stop
> the backend before running mythtv-setup and restarting it afterwards?

Actually, -Y allows you to use things like cut/copy and paste.  With -X
you're using "untrusted" X forwarding, saying, "I think there's a
keystroke logger running on the machine to which I'm connecting, so I
don't want to allow any application any access to the
keyboard/mouse/clipboard/..." for example.

If you have a keystroke logger running on your master backend--and you
didn't install it--I think there are worse things that will happen than
some nefarious system cracker finding out what path you typed for your
MythTV Storage Directories and where you clicked on the screen to start
a channel scan.  ;)

But, if you don't trust your own system, feel free to use the -X option,
instead--and then wonder why things that work fine locally don't work
when using X forwarding.

Mike