[mythtv-users] Rescan from the command line

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Sep 7 15:46:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, Ian Oliver wrote:

> I'm using mythtv (mythtvbuntu 9.10, yes ought to upgrade!) and need to
> rescan all the Freeview channels. However, the backend is in a
> cupboard, so I either need to drag a monitor over there or setup VNC or
> the like.
>
> Is there any way to rescan either from the command line or from a front
> end?

Set 'X11Forwarding yes' in /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the backend, then ssh -Y
into it from the frontend. Running mythtv-setup from that ssh should result
in it being forwarded over SSH to the frontend.

> If I do get the monitor route, do I need to rescan for all four of my
> USB Freeview tuners?

Can't see why you would.

> Oh, and here's another worry. With my mythtv being a couple of years
> old, will 8k mode be OK? If not, what's the lowest risk and hassle way
> of fixing this?

ISTR the 8k fix went into 0.22, as I backported it to my local copy of 0.21
to avoid an upgrade. I think <http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7688>
contains the small patch I applied, and it's 22 months old.

> Thanks
>
> Ian

HTH,
Alex