[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime out for delivery - Any issues installing?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Wed Sep 7 03:32:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> You are missing the context.  The card he is speaking of is already
> provisioned.  It's in his cable box.  The only thing missing if he
> takes it and puts it in the Prime is the pairing, which is necessary
> to get channels where CCI != 0x00.  The above response is based on
> being explicitly told such by SiliconDust employees.

Oh, well I can somewhat answer that too. I had to RMA my Ceton card.
The cablecard was working on my old Ceton card. When I put the
cablecard in my new Ceton card 5 minutes later, I definitely did NOT
get any of the encrypted channels (not even the Copy Freely ones). I
do not recall for certain whether I got no channels or just the clear
QAM channels, but the encrypted Copy Free channels definitely did NOT
work. I doubt something like this would be different between the Ceton
and SD devices, as it's almost certainly explicitly spelled out by
CableLabs in the specs. Now, if a particular cable company majorly
screwed the pooch with their backend system or cablecard software, I
can't say, but it's most certainly not a universal thing.

--
Ron Frazier