[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV-HVR2250 vs SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR-US

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 01:05:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM, Randy Evans <revans42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been using a HDHomeRun with MythTV for about two years.  At
> various intervals, I had one HD channel which would suddenly start
> pixilating (sp?) to the point of being unwatchable.  This channel
> would stay that way for several months, then suddenly start working
> again.  This channel again went bad a couple of weeks ago and I
> decided to connect the antenna directly to the TV to test it and it
> came in just fine.  Note I connected the same coax cable to the tv as
> is used with the HDHomeRun box.

The original HDHR did not have as sensitive of a tuner as some of it's
competitors. Also, a weak power supply can cause those issues.

Mine finally died after 3 years so I took advantage of their upgrade
price and got a HDHR3 for $99. It's much smaller, one coax connection
(split internally), and a much better tuner. After rescanning for
channels I got a station in the next town that I didn't get before.
Unfortunately it was a duplicate (different affiliate of a station I
get locally) but it was still neat.

Richard