[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 09:48:54 UTC 2011

On 6 September 2011 10:13, Frans Grotepass <grotepass at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2011 09:54:46 +0100
> Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > with xf86-video-ati the video is absolutely tear free.
>>
>> What settings for playback is that? I'd be happy to get this going so
>> I'll happily have a further play this evening....
>
> What do you mean by that? The source data is 1080p mkv. I did not tune
> the playback settings in mythtv. any of the xvba/VDPAU stuff on my
> mythtv box yet.

I'm compiling myth from source, currently it is using the VA-API stuff
for playback, but it sounds like I might need opengl support compiled
in too.

> my mythtv box has a Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H so just running the
> integrated graphics of the 785G.
>
> Stability with xf86-video-ati is also much better than what I
> experienced with nvidia propriety or ati catalyst on my unstable VIA
> chipset based desktop (getting new MB one of these days).

is that the 'radeon' driver in /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

I shall have a look at this later on... ta. :)

Basically I'm playing with netbooting stuff as I'm probably going to
get some ION based frontendnds at some future time, but I'd like to
make it support as much stuff as possible so if I can get the ATI
stuff in my desktop working then all the better.

Cheers,

Ian