[mythtv-users] Dolby/DTS and Direct (Analog) input

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 21:21:43 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 11:08 PM, Lindsay Mathieson
<lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 September 2011 18:41, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> coax and optical are both just different but compatible ways of
>> shifting the digital data, so spdif coax and spdif optical are
>> functionally equivalent.
>
> Cool, I thought so.
>

>> Nice 5.1 system isn't? I bought mine after reading an online review by
>> a guy who said his stone deaf neighbour complained after he tested the
>> system...
>

> I'm really pleased with it, looks good and the difference in depth and
> quality is extraodinary. It took a lot of tweaking, but I have auto
> switching of inputs working well using a Harmony 600 remote, between
> TV, MythBox and CD Player.
>

>  Haven't dared turn it up to max yet :)

The review that convinced me is here
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/z5500/index.php

The bit about the deaf neighbour is on page 9. They are billed as PC
speakers, but frankly they have done me well as Home Theatre speakers.
They could do with an update to cover the newer HD audio codecs and an
hdmi input, but it's a real testament to them that they are still
being sold 7 years after that 2004 review. How many tech components
have been around that long? And here they are still selling for much
the same price, despite the NZ $ steadily climbibg over that time.
That the market can still stand something close to the original price
all these years later also says something good about them :)