[mythtv-users] Best front-end machine?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Sep 5 16:13:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 12:36:15PM +0200, Rob Verduijn wrote:
> Mmmmm,
>
> I'm still wary about ATI in combination with linux.
>
> Forgive me for not taking your word for it, but I do need more than just
> your opinion to be convinced to dump nvidia cards that do everything I want
> them to do.
>
> Could you post a link to some proper 3d tests and/or video accelerated video
> running ati under linux with foss drivers.

   My main concern would be just getting the basic widescreen resolution
support with HDTVs right. This was my main problem with the Intel driver
when I was still using it. Some of my TVs generated crap PnP information
an my Intel GPUs could not cope.

   The combination of Linux+Intel+TV was hit or miss.

   If that weren't an issue any more then some of the newer i3/i5 boards
would have a chance of handling high res decode through brute force.

[deletia]