[mythtv-users] What is everyone using for IR Receivers ?

Scott Alfter scott at alfter.us
Thu Sep 1 17:32:35 UTC 2011

On 8/31/2011 08:30, Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:43 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I need a bunch of IR receivers for my front end boxes.  What is everyone
>> using ?
>
> I went a different direction and bought an IR keyboard and a
> JP1 programmable remote (URC-8910) which was cheap at the time (around $50)
> and programmed the remote to send keystrokes to the keyboard receiver.

Another approach is a Bluetooth remote:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sony_PS3_BD_Remote#uinput_kernel_module_method

The remote itself usually runs about $25 or so; Bluetooth dongles are about
$10-$15.  You get longer range than most non-Bluetooth RF input devices, you
don't need line-of-sight to the device being controlled (which IR remotes need
to function), and it's still fairly cheap.  A patched BlueZ allows you to map
buttons on the remote to whatever keypresses you like, which is useful for
controlling MythTV.  (Out of the box, the number keys, direction pad, Enter,
and Return work with an unpatched BlueZ; that'll get you basic functionality.)

Scott Alfter
scott at alfter.us