[mythtv-users] How do I retrieve channels from schedules direct for FIOS?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Sep 1 16:08:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 11:41 AM, James <virtue at rocketmonkeys.com> wrote:
> I wonder why setting up a tuner
> with a video source and pressing "fetch listings" doesn't work, but
> creating a dummy recorder and doing the same thing does.  Weird.

The reason for this (and robert sort of alluded to it, but didn't
spell it out) is that for a device that requires scanning, you can't
just generate the channels based on the schedules direct data. You
need to know certain parameters for each channel, and that can only be
discovered by the scanner. For a device that doesn't require scanning
(a cablecard that takes virtual channel numbers, an analog tuner that
just takes the channel number, a set top box where you just IR blast
the channel number to it, etc) these extra parameters are unnecessary,
so in those cases you CAN setup the channels entirely based on the
schedules direct data.

So when you click on the fetch button, mythfilldatabase is run, it
looks at what type of device (ie: whether or not it requires scanning)
that video source is connected to, and then only updates the channels
if it doesn't require scanning.

--
Ron Frazier