[mythtv-users] What will mythtv do if I `rm -rf ./recordings/* ./livetv/*` ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 31 17:57:08 UTC 2011

On 10/31/2011 12:16 AM, Andrew Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 10/30/2011 09:57 PM, Andrew Hughes wrote:
>>> I'm going to use clonezilla to backup my entire boot drive/partition.
>>> In order to keep the backups as small as possible I'll be looking to
>>> configure myth's directories onto another disk (I don't want to back
>>> these up).
>>>
>>> So, my question is if I do something stupid (highly likely) and I
>>> restore the disc, the directory contents of ./recordings/* livetv/*
>>> will be out of sync with that of mythtv's (database I believe). This
>>> is effectively the same as saying "what happens if I delete these
>>> files manually"?
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> Q: How would mythtv behave/react on boot?
>>>
>> MythTV would fail to play back any missing recordings with a message
>> that the file doesn't exist and you would need to clean up the orphaned
>> recording metadata by either manually deleting entries (
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#How_do_I_remove_recordings_that_no_longer_exist_on_disk.3F
>> ) or by using a script, like find_orphans.py (
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py ).
> Thanks very much Mike,
>
> That's an acceptable compromise for backup/recovery/rollback in my
> circumstances :)

Guess I should have also mentioned that it's designed this way to allow
for flexibility when a) you don't boot one or more remote backends (and,
therefore, don't have access to their storage/recordings) or b) you have
unmounted file systems or c) you lose files after a HDD failure or
whatever or d) other things that cause you to lose recordings.

So, we are very much interested in making sure MythTV never has a
problem when your files are out of sync with your metadata, so this
won't change in the future, either.

Mike