[mythtv-users] CBS sucks!

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Oct 31 14:53:24 UTC 2011

This scheduling crap has been an issue for years, ever since TiVo first
popularized PVRs. The one minute early/late nonsense is a good example. The
networks couldn't care less if you miss stuff for the reasons mentioned.
They don't like DVRs and would likely throw a huge billion dollar party if
they could kill them entirely. They care even less about anyone here,
MythTV users, as we don't have restrictions on our PVRs the way users of
commercial setups do. They can't even get the de-identified data TiVo gives
out. Yes, it sucks, but there's not a single thing you can do to change
their behavior. You are less than worthless to them.

There are things they could do to make it easier, like use sub-channels for
scheduled programming. It would probably be in SD, but it would be
something. They could publish the end times and/or new schedule after a
game ends, re-air the scheduled stuff in the early morning hours on
schedule, and probably other things. I doubt they will. Sports makes too
much money for them to care about anything else. It sucks for people like
me that find watching any sporting event boring as hell, but it's not going
to change unless everyone else suddenly decides not to like watching
sports. I find that outcome highly unlikely.