[mythtv-users] CBS sucks!

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 04:01:21 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 15:57, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> Every week their Sunday night lineup overruns due to (presumably) some
> stupid sporting even that fails to finish in it's allotted time slot.

The "event" programming (which includes the America football)
is the most lucrative programming that the networks broadcast,
and they spend hundreds of millions (and sometimes billions)
purchasing the rights to broadcast them, and expect the
commensurate profits.  Episodic TV (which includes almost
everything after that on Sunday night) is just not in the same
league profit wise.  And the networks are commercial enterprises
interested in profit.  If CBS (or any other network) had a choice,
they would gladly sacrifice the entire evenings schedule to the
event programs and rake in the profits.

At least football is timed, and has an expected end, even if
that end is somewhat variable.  Baseball (as the 6th game
of the most recent world series showed) is not time limited,
and can go for hours late.

Note, that while, in theory, to meet your particular needs,
CBS could start the events a few hours earlier.  But, of
course, they want the largest audience possible (to sell
to their advertisers), and that means latest possible.

Whether CBS is making the right call for *your* desires
is not relevant to CBS, which believes it is making the
best profit possible (which is its duty to its shareholders).

Now, if you have around $18 billion, I believe you could
purchase CBS and they would do whatever you wanted.

> Why do we [have to] tolerate this crap?

You do not.  You can stop watching CBS.  It will have no
impact on CBS earnings, so it will not influence their behavior,
but you can stop watching them in protest and end your
frustrations with their actions.  Now, if you want your
cake, and plan to eat it too, you should get used to
disappointment.

About all you can do when using any DVR is to
pad the ending by up to 60 minutes for all the
following shows, and hope the game is not
exceptionally long (the recording will start early,
which you can skip, and exit the playback when
the content of the show it is over).

Gary