[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun Prime lineup confusion

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Oct 29 17:16:09 UTC 2011

On 10/29/2011 01:05 PM, Khanh Tran wrote:
> I just got my HDHR Prime setup and working.  Now I'd like to add it to
> my backend.  I already have a digital lineup working with my cablebox
> (PVR-150).  I followed:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Configuring_MythTV_for_the_HDHomeRun_Prime
>
> and
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.2
>
> but I'm still confused as to where in my database I can ensure that
> mythbackend won't try to record the encrypted channels.

I'm assuming this means you have a single Schedules Direct lineup that
has all channels available on both the HDHR Prime and the PVR-150.  If
so, you /must/ have 2 different MythTV Video Sources.  Each source
contains a) a list of channels available on a particular input (and
/only/ those channels available to that input) and b) tuning information
for those channels.  Therefore, since the Video Source for the HDHR
Prime will not contain any of the encrypted channels, mythbackend won't
try to record the encrypted channels with the HDHR Prime.  Instead, if
those channels exist in the Video Source connected to the PVR-150's
input(s), mythbackend will use it to record shows from those channels
(presumably using the STB that's outputting those channels).

>    Also, do I
> run mythfilldatabase with --remove-new-channels from now on?

That will prevent mythfilldatabase from adding channels to the Video
Source--such as the encrypted channels.  You can set this as a
"mythfilldatabase arguments" in mythtv-setup's General settings.

>    What
> happens when I want to add a new channel in the future to the cablebox
> tuner (PVR-150) or the Prime?

You manually run mythfilldatabase without --remove-new-channels at the
command line, then use mythtv-setup to remove any channels from the
Video Source(s) that should not be there--for example the encrypted
channels that were added to the HDHR Prime when you attempted to add a
new unencrypted channel to the HDHR Prime.

Mike