[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Andy Burns mythtv.lists at burns.me.uk
Tue Oct 25 21:14:11 UTC 2011

On 25 October 2011 14:36, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

> As I keep saying over and over and over again, power savings are _not_ a
> feature of virtualization.

I didn't say they were (though they can be in other scenarios) but I
prefer to consolidate *with* isolation

> Power savings is a feature of
> consolidation.  Virtualization is for absolute isolation.

As I said, I prefer to keep different systems isolated, and VMs are my
chosen way of achieving it, isolation leads to fewer suprises at
upgrade time, the functions on each VM can be upgraded independently,
I can run and compare multiple versions side by side in different VMs,
can choose a long-term support O/S for most VMs where I don't need
bleeding edge, and a short term one such as fedora for my myth backend
where I do want newer driver support.

> since you're likely sharing the same data in Samba as
> you are using in MythTV,

Not at all, different data

> The only thing mentioned there that would necessitate a virtual machine
> would be Windows Server.  However, that questions the need for Server
> 2k3.

It runs a Windows only accounts package, is also used for remoting out
from and back into customer sites for testing, so far no need to
upgrade to W2k8