[mythtv-users] Mythbacked on ESXi 5.0

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue Oct 25 18:00:50 UTC 2011

On 10/25/2011 13:34, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> I'm not saying that those situations are guaranteed to crop up in our
> milieu... but it seems to me Raymond is saying they don't exist (this
> was not one of his Big 4 Reasons).

No.  My "Big 4 Reasons" were those that where I saw full hardware
virtualization providing a worthwhile feature that could not be
accomplished by shared kernel para-virtualization, chroot, or just
running directly on the base install.  To be fair, my primary use system
is FreeBSD, where Jail para-virtualization has been part of the core
system since 2000, and the init system knows how to behave when found in
one.  I may have a skewed view on how well VServers and OpenVZ work,
when they have never been merged into the upstream kernel.