[mythtv-users] Adding A Few Channels to HDHR Line-up

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 16:54:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 9:06 AM, John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > This might add the channels to my MythTV lineup, but it won't properly
> > configure Myth so that the HDHR is able to tune it, will it?
>
> No, it won't.  You need to re-run the mythtv channel scanner in
> mythtv-setup to add new channels to an hdhr source.
>
> Eric

Thanks Eric; that's what I thought.  So this brings me right back to my
original question.  Is the channel scanner in mythtv-setup the best / only
way to go?

I currently have around 50 channels in mythtv for my hdhr source.
 Definitely lots of SD/HD dupes and some "junk" channels; 50 is just the
approximate raw number.  I have everything working to my satisfaction with
the HDHR.  The recent scan with the HDHR tools showed that there are maybe 4
or 5 new channels that I can tune.  Of these one I definitely would like to
get into Myth and another looks interesting, but I doubt I would ever record
anything from it.  The rest I could care less about.  I'm afraid of doing a
scan and messing up something with the 50 or so channels that I have working
just to try to get 1 or 2 channels added.

Thanks again,
John