[mythtv-users] LIRC -> Network Remote Control

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Wed Oct 19 13:37:05 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 10:30 PM, John Franklin <forgivenbyjc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Good question.  My MBE is on a very old (P4 1.8GHz, I think) computer I
> picked up a few years ago used for $20.  The integrated GPU is not strong
> enough to display HDTV and only has VGA out, also my TV is an old Sony
> Trinitron with no VGA input.  My MFE is run off of my regular desktop as a
> separate x screen with an Nvidia 7600GT s-video out.  The MBE and MFE are on
> opposite sides of the room, so I will have to point the remote in the
> opposite direction than normal--but still doable.  I am assuming here you
> mean separate when you say "discrete frontend." Correct me if I
> misunderstood.

You could extend the length of your IR receiver's cord by splicing
some CAT5 into it.  I did this once on an old PVR150 and it work quite
well to allow the computer to remain hidden in the utility room.

Is moving one of your tuner cards into the FE and creating a slave BE
out of the question?  Then you could run commercial flagging and other
jobs on the beefier machine as an added bonus.