[mythtv-users] HD Homerun Prime Scripting

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Oct 18 20:36:08 UTC 2011

On 10/18/2011 1:07 PM, Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Kirk Bocek<t004 at kbocek.com>  wrote:
>> I was mulling over Robert's words but
>> couldn't quite pull it all together. Somehow I can't be the only one
>> having to muck about in the MySQL tables in order to get MythTV to work.
>
> Of course not.  I was talking about this very topic in another thread.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/494001#494001
>
> I still feel that it would be best to have a single video source for
> both prime and non-prime tuners, but, since the devs seem to have no
> aesthetic problems with the current proliferation of video sources,
> we're pretty much stuck with having to maintain the non-prime source
> based on external information.
>
> I haven't had enough time to work on this, but I eventually came to
> the conclusion that doing this with simple scripts would be too error
> prone.  Doing it right means doing it in C++.
>
> What Robert's words mean is that you aren't supposed to connect to the
> database and and start mucking around with SQL commands.  If you want
> to insert a dtv multiplex, the right way to do it is to link to
> libmyth and use  ChannelUtil::CreateMultiplex.  New channels can be
> created with ChannelUtil::CreateChannel.  Using these APIs hides the
> details that makes the code brittle.
>
> The barrier to entry is a little higher, but the end result is better.
>
> Eric

Now there's some good advice. It'll be work for me, but good advice.
I've known the API is there but have never learned how to use it. Now I
will.

And having made that promise, I'm still going to finish my script with
all the caveats, warnings and bad practices baked into it. I need it
now. I'll do a proper version soon. I promise.

Thanks for the pointer.

Kirk Bocek