[mythtv-users] Release date MythTV 0.25 ?

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:11:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Stefan Reichel
<stefan.reichel at rapid-net.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> is there a time schedule concerning the upcoming release? The last major release 0.24 was one year ago and there is no date for a 0.25 release candidate yet. The trac system shows 10/10/11 but this date is obviously deprecated. What are the main obstacles for the new release? How close is the current development branch to the final version? Is it "safe" to upgrade to the dev version in respect to the database schemas and overall application behavior? Thanks  in advance for your answers.

There is no current schedule.  There is a loose set of "must have"
features for each of us that we are working through, and we'd like to
release something this year-- but realistically if it's this year it
is likely to be very late this year.

The dates and milestones in trac are never valid-- they aren't set as
a result of any discussion amongst the devs, and should never, ever be
used as an indication of anything (for this project, anyway).

Master is just as stable or as unstable as ever-- we have made no
recent effort to stabilize for release so it's entirely luck fo the
draw and as ever it could just as likely break tragically as work
fantastically-- it's up to those following master to diligently read
the commits list and know what going on-- it's no fun to
re-re-re-re-explain the same bug or open issue to people rather than
spending time fixing it when people treat master as if it should be as
supported as a release (not saying you would, just that we see it a
lot).  My personal recommendation is to never use master unless it's
to do your own personal development against it.  We usually invite
people to join us in bug squashing in the last month of development,
which is when we generally deem master "almost" stable enough for
everyday use.

Robert