[mythtv-users] AMD and VA-API status

Mark Kendall mark.kendall at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:38:39 UTC 2011

On 13 October 2011 20:13, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quoting raymond wagner from another current thread... on secrets of a low
> power system or somethinglike that

> nVidia. They have proven themselves with reliable drivers for years now, and
> VDPAU is still far more capable than VAAPI in terms of built-in post
> processing support (deinterlacing). Beyond that, the nVidia drivers offer a
> number of nice features that allow you to better deal with various TVs that
> are simply not an option with AMD and Intel drivers.

The VAAPI code in master was tested using an Intel Carkdale chipset
running Ubuntu Lucid (using, from memory, the xorg-edgers bleeding
edge X updates). It was stable. That same box has now been upgraded to
a stock Natty install and VAAPI is less than stable - with frequent
crashes. I've not looked into it so can't be sure whether it's a
driver issue or further problems with the MythTV code.

As has already been mentioned, VAAPI is less feature rich than VDPAU
(limited deinterlacer selection - if you can get it to work), no
picture controls (on Intel), no VC1 support (on that chipset/driver
version at least) and probably a few other things I've forgotten.

AMD support is another issue entirely. The last time I tried to get
the fglrx driver installed on one of my systems, I completely trashed
it. Haven't tried since:) You may want to have a look at:-

http://www.splitted-desktop.com/static/libva/xvba-video/

regards

Mark