[mythtv-users] Secrets for low powered front ends ?

Tim Draper veehexx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:13:10 UTC 2011

> I guess this i3/i5 mini-itx board with NVIDIA GeForce GT430 should be up to
> the job:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500070
>
> Should be a good combination of performance and size, but it is a bit
> expensive though.
>
> Jens
>
> i know openSUSE has driver issues with discrete graphics laptops (ie: intel
GPU for 2d, and it auto-switches to nvidia/ati for 3d content). is this how
this board works, or is it just an embedded PCIe graphics card that
overrides the core-i GPU?
if so, i'd want to look into it more before purchasing.

if it's an embedded PCIe card that is used for everything, then thats not
bad, but i'd likely opt for a cheaper board (Asrock H67M-iTX), m350 case,
ram slow i3 and maybe a 32gb SSD. would be ideal for a frontend, or USB
tuner FE/BE system with network storage.

i dont like this thread - i've been following it from early on, and i soo
want to upgrade my noisy-when-cpu-is-loaded BE/FE with something quieter.
the itch is getting worse :S