[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime Success & Question

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 18:09:43 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/2011 7:12 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> so I was configured on the "wrong" head end, which took some
>> time for Comcast to figure out)).
>
> That's a true gotcha!
>
>> Since you are in Comcast land, you should look at the scte65scan
>> program(*).
>
> I am very familiar with scte65scan. I actually have two classic HDHRs. I
> only have three of the four tuners configured in Myth, which is enough.
> I leave the last for testing and playing and a nightly run of
> scte65scan. When a recording fails, I immediately jump to the text file
> that was generated the night before and check the channel mappings. It's
> almost always a matter of retuning a virtual channel.
>
>> In the long(er) run, I suspect you are going to want to do what
>> I want to do, which is purchase another Prime to replace your
>> clear QAM tuner to end the need to do the manual channel
>> remapping which is sometimes required (I find I need more than
>> one Prime tuner per clear QAM tuner because the Prime cannot
>> do multi-rec).
>
> But... can the Prime do channel mapping *without* a CableCard? I bet the
> answer is no. I bet the information is buried in the channel list
> provided as part of the paring process. Another CableCard means another
> "Outlet" charge to Comcast (currently $8/Mo) which I don't want.
>
>> Of course, if you are subscribed to premium content (or plan to do
>> so), you may still need that HD-PVR.
>
> I am aware of the Premium content limitation. Not subscribed to any
> premium content. But, yes, that would be a use for the HD-PVR.

If you use hdhomerun_config to tune to a channel, you can get a lot of
info about that channel.

If you have tune the hdhr prime to a particular vchannel using:

hdhomerun_config <ip_of_hdhrcc> set /tuner2/vchannel xxx

where xxx is the cable channel as in the guide, you can then get the
channel(frequency) using:

hdhomerun_config <is_of_hdhrcc> get /tuner2/channel

and the program id using

hdhomerun_config <is_of_hdhrcc> get /tuner2/program

You can get other useful information using

hdhomerun_config <is_of_hdhrcc> get /tuner2/vstatus

I was playing around the the hdhomerun cci_scan script that someone
posted to the list a while back, and I was going to add the frequency
and program id to the output for my own use.  The next time comcast
changes the clear qam lineup, I may knock together a script to update
the database using the information.  But they have been pretty stable
for me.  They were good for about a year, then in 3 days they changed
them 3 time about 2 months ago, but have been stable since then.

Bill