[mythtv-users] A few general questions about VDPAU setup.

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 01:37:21 UTC 2011

I am now trying to enable VDPAU on some of my front ends.

I have a few general questions.

1) As of 0.24.1-2, has VDPAU functionality been compiled in by default ?

2) In Setup-> TVSetup -> Playback, are those settings just used for TV
viewing or are they used for video playing as well ?

3) I do not understand the VDPAU wiki, nor the Playback Profiles (page
3/8 of Playback menu).

The Wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU) says:

Enabling VDPAU in MythFrontend

Navigate to:

 "Utilities -> Setup -> TV Settings -> Playback -> Playback Profiles (3/8)"

VDPAU Playback Profiles are automatically created in current versions.

VDPAU High Quality: use Temporal Spatial 2X (Advanced 2X) for all
content. To be used with nvidia cards >= 8600GT, >= 9500GT, GT120 or
>= GT220
VDPAU Normal: use Temporal 2X for HD content, and Temporal Spatial 2X
(Advanced 2X) for SD content. To be used with nvidia cards >= 8400, >=
9300, GT110 or >= GT210
VDPAU Slim: use Bob 2X with skip chroma option, with One Field as fall
back, to be used with nvidia cards >= 8200 or when VDPAU Normal
doesn't work for some reasons.

Profiles using 2X deinterlacers give better motion playback than 1X ones.

This is all great, how do I use this information ?

On the Playback Profiles page, is displays a list with many (8?)
profiles, with usage rules underneath them.

Each rule has a number field with 1, 2,3,4 in it.

What does this information mean ?    What am I supposed to set ?

4) How do I know a) when VDPAU is working and b) what mode its running
in when I'm running Myth in full screen ? (Which is where its going to
take the most performance to display the content)

5) What part does the Xorg.conf file play in all this ?

FWIW, some of my front ends have the ION2 video processor, which
provides featureset C.  Another one has the Nvidia 8800MGTS, which
provides featureset A.

Thanks in advance...

LG