[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Frank Phillips frankalso at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 07:42:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:20 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10 October 2011 15:46, Frank Phillips <frankalso at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When not ripping, I would prefer to be able to loop-mount a virtual
>> volume upon disc insertion that is decrypted on-the-fly as used,
>> rather than using the (lame) streaming function.
>
> how do you mount a decrypted image then?

A decrypted/non-encrypted iso, whether on BD or HDD, should be
detectable by makemkv (AACS directory not present, among other things)
and skip the decryption function. Pretty sure it already does this. An
unencrypted, backed-up filesystem has no need to be mounted, just
point the player (MythTV) at the root.

I would expect a fusefs could be integrated into makemkv to mount a
live-decrypted version of the filesystem.

Hypothetical:
# Read from the hardware and mount a representation of the
# hierarchy. When a file is accessed, provide the (decrypted
# if necessary) content. Requires fuse kernel support and
# the userland fuse program.
makemkvcon mount --decrypt disc:0 /mnt/decrypt

Similar to dvdfs http://www.jspenguin.org/software/dvdfs/README.txt

However, last I heard, the developer was planning on inserting an NFS
server into the software.