[mythtv-users] FYI - HDPVR in a KVM VM possible using usbip service

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Oct 10 05:28:27 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
>> Not bad for something so crazy :)
>
> I'm sure the LinuxTV devs who hang around here and have had the pleasure
> of trying to write USB capture drivers can tell you just how crazy it is
> to try to use USB devices in a VM.

People have done this before, in particular with ATSC or DVB with some
success.  Generally speaking the VMs can keep up with TS streams (most
of the VM products have gotten better over the last couple of years in
terms of their USB emulation), but they tend to fall down if you try
analog over isoc mode (which can be well over 200 Mbps).  Your chances
of success are also improved if the USB device has a hardware PID
filter as opposed to relying on the kernel to do it (as this reduces
the bandwidth going across the bus).

But yeah, I wouldn't consider it a recipe for success.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com