[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 01:53:58 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Monday, 10 October 2011, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I suspect that one should be able to start playing the file before the
>> dump is complete. Assuming one has the bandwidth to stream full MKV as well
>> and it doesn't need transcoding.
>
> Streaming the full BD disk structure (decrypted on the fly by anydvd) works
> well here. I don't see why sharing the mkv wouldn't work

When makemkv is dumping to mkv the file is NOT playable until the end
of the dump. They put rubbish in the start of the mkv file during the
rip and then write a header at the end. (this is true in relation to a
bluray anyway, I haven't looked at a dvd file during the dump.)

makemkv WILL however stream a bluray in decrypted form without dumping
to hard drive.

There is, I am told, an xbmc addon to make use of makemkv in stream
mode to play blurays on the fly.

>> I'll be testing this all out shortly.  I'll report back what I find.
>
> What I have seen happening however, is that when mounted via cifs, it caches
> too aggressively and often would stop half way the playback because the file
> wasn't complete at the remote end, while it was fully available on the
> backend.
>
> So basically, it was unreliable and you had to wait for the full dump to
> finish... Hence why I tried anydvd to start with.
>
> It seems that makemkv beta on windows let you do something similar as
> anydvd: export an non-encrypted disk. Maybe it's a feature that will come on
> day on Linux. But til then...

makemkv on linux will export either on unencrypted mkv of any title on
the bluray, or an unencrypted copy of the entire bluray disk structure
on hard drive, or an encrypted copy of the entire bluray disk on hard
drive. I don't think it is any different to the windows version in
this respect.