[mythtv-users] Playing DVDs from the backend optical drive on a frontend device ?

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 16:52:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> I've done the same through two different ways..
>
> 1- Set up iSCSI.
> It's rather technically challenging, but once it works. It works well.
> So only downside is that I found that you can only have one client at
> a time. Even if only one frontend is attempting to use the disk.

Hmmm... that is a pretty big limitation.

> 2- Use AnyDVD
> You run a virtual machine with windows and AnyDVD, and you give
> exclusive access to the disk, to the VM running AnyDVD.
> >From then you export the drive.
> You mount the drive on any of the frontends using mount -t cifs
> Downside is that it's not free.

One can do the same thing with makeMKV, only you don't need to run Windows
on a VM.  Seems a lot cleaner to do it that way.

 I now use the later option, and it works perfectly also for bluray

> disks. As AnyDVD HD will decrypt any bluray, myth can now read *any*
> bluray...

MakeMKV is the same way.

Upon further thought, probably the easiest way to do this is to have MKV
enter rip mode upon inserting the DVD and then let the front ends access the
content via the Myth video player.

This allows the users to experience popping a DVD in and being able to
immediately play it, even though its technically very different.  For one
thing, the file should probably be removed when they are done viewing if the
users only want a 1 watch situation.