[mythtv-users] Pauses every 10 seconds - playback of active recordings only

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 5 03:09:55 UTC 2011

On 10/04/2011 12:01 AM, Matthew Hubbard wrote:
> Hi all, apologies in advance for the essay - just trying to be detailed.
>
> First up, I've read through the thread on random short pauses here
> and in reference to Michael Dean's post on 23 May I sometimes notice
> #1 and often notice #3
>
> I have a combined BE/FE and my biggest issue is playing back a
> recording that is still in progress. Every 10 seconds, the video and
> audio will pause for a second. If I skipped back, the pause is in a
> different place so the underlying recording is ok. Once the recording
> has finished, the recording plays back fine.
>
> Live tv is fine, I can pause and skip around without issue. Previously
> recorded programs are ok while another is in progress. I even had 8
> recordings going at once and played back a 9th show without issue.
> Once the 8 were finished they were ok but if I tried to watch while
> they were still recording I got these pauses.

Likely the seek table updates.

> Watching iotop there appear to be a burst of mysql processes that
> align with the pauses I'm seeing during playback but they are also
> there during live tv without any interruptions to playback.

Let me guess, you're running one of these distros that uses ext4 as its
primary file system--and are using ext4 on the file system that contains
the mysql data, right?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/414796#414796
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/486663#486663
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/486663#486663

Seems ext4 is a barrier to mysql performance.

Mike

Mike