[mythtv-users] Mythvideo Metadata and Punctuation

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat Oct 1 15:16:16 UTC 2011

On 10/1/2011 01:12, Daniel Osborne wrote:
> Is there a way to ignore punctuation in the metadata grabber?
>
> For example, I have my movies organized as such:
> Star Trek - First Contact.mkv
> Star Trek - Generations.mkv

Correct the punctuation and use colons instead.

> Now, the actual movie contains a colon (see:
> http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/199), but I obviously can't use that
> as a character (interoperability with Windows).

Sure you can.  Use the 'mangled map' operator to have samba convert
between the two.

> I know that I can manually edit the title metadata to remove the
> hyphen then refetch, and it successfully works. However, I'd like the
> ability to ignore punctuation in Mythvideo automatically.

That would be the incorrect way to do things, as many movies actually
have punctuation in their titles, including hyphens.  Take Wall-E for
example.  "Wall-E" and "Wall·E" work fine with TMDb.  Meanwhile, "WallE"
returns a movie called "Walled In", and "Wall E" simply faults.

MythTV filters results based off Levenshtein distance, and distance
between your title and the correct title is two.  By default, MythTV
filters anything above five, so as far as MythTV is concerned, it's a
valid match.  The tmdb.py script just passes the string onto the API,
and lets the web API deal with it as it chooses.  The problem is the
TMDb API does not think a ": " and " - " are sufficiently close to
return a match.

> If the devs are interested in a patch, I could write up another one.

Since your proposed solution would solve your specific problem, but in
the process cause others, it is not something we could accept.