[mythtv-users] Mythvideo Metadata and Punctuation

Daniel Osborne myth at danielosborne.net
Sat Oct 1 05:12:05 UTC 2011

Is there a way to ignore punctuation in the metadata grabber?

For example, I have my movies organized as such:
Star Trek - First Contact.mkv
Star Trek - Generations.mkv

Now, the actual movie contains a colon (see:
http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/199), but I obviously can't use that as a
character (interoperability with Windows).
So I replaced the colon with a hypen (technically a space and a hyphen). I
have another video app that fetches metadata (Plex), and it correctly
recognizes it.

I know that I can manually edit the title metadata to remove the hyphen then
refetch, and it successfully works. However, I'd like the ability to ignore
punctuation in Mythvideo automatically.

This seems to be intentional, as it's explicitly mentioned here:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_Library#Metadata_Grabber_Troubleshooting

I wrote a patch a while ago for tmdb, I think, which fixed it, but have
since lost it.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? Suggestions?

If the devs are interested in a patch, I could write up another one.

Thanks,
Daniel