[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:27:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> JYA and anyone else in the know!
>
> Earlier this year on this thread (3rd March) you said
>
> The GT430 is a better choice for a media PC today.
> The GT220 was the best choice for a media PC a year ago.
> The 9500GT was the best choice for a media PC two years ago
> The 8400GS was the best choice for a media PC when VDPAU was introduced.
>

> I am now looking for a PCIe VDPAU card for my combined FE/BE upgrading from
> my 8500GT which is connected over a 5m HDMI cable to a new 1080p LED/LCD
> panel.
>
> I am getting tearing even on VDPAU Normal even with SD channels, so I have
> reverted to VDPAU Slim but it is grainy and I would like to enable HQscaling
> which I understand required Featureset C. Any suggestions on tweaking abit
> more performance or is it time for an upgrade?
>
> is the GT430 still the card to get or is there a better choice (I see 5xx
> series are not really appropriate, but is the GT440 a better choice with its
> lower clockrate, lower tdp but faster performance?). I am also (planning on)
> using the system with mythgame with various emulators including dolphin,
> pcsx2, pcsx, MAME etc.
>
> thanks in advance

I'm interested in your thoughts as well. My GT220 fan recently died
and I've put an old case fan in front of it as a temporary, yet loud,
fix. From what I can tell the GT430 is the best option to get the
audio enhancements. It looks though, like there are two versions of
the 440, one of a higher clock rate but is actually "slower" for
MythTV purposes, and an "older" version that is clocked slower but
actually faster.

anyway, help in finding the best, cheapest card type is much appreciated!

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!