[mythtv-users] Video Card Recommendation Needed

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 18:49:13 UTC 2011

JYA and anyone else in the know!

Earlier this year on this thread (3rd March) you said

The GT430 is a better choice for a media PC today.
The GT220 was the best choice for a media PC a year ago.
The 9500GT was the best choice for a media PC two years ago
The 8400GS was the best choice for a media PC when VDPAU was introduced.

I am now looking for a PCIe VDPAU card for my combined FE/BE upgrading from
my 8500GT which is connected over a 5m HDMI cable to a new 1080p LED/LCD
panel.

I am getting tearing even on VDPAU Normal even with SD channels, so I have
reverted to VDPAU Slim but it is grainy and I would like to enable
HQscaling which I understand required Featureset C. Any suggestions on
tweaking abit more performance or is it time for an upgrade?

is the GT430 still the card to get or is there a better choice (I see 5xx
series are not really appropriate, but is the GT440 a better choice with
its lower clockrate, lower tdp but faster performance?). I am also
(planning on) using the system with mythgame with various emulators
including dolphin, pcsx2, pcsx, MAME etc.

thanks in advance