[mythtv-users] dvb-t2

phipps-hutton at sky.com phipps-hutton at sky.com
Wed Nov 30 14:26:43 UTC 2011

Quoting John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net>:

> On 30/11/11 11:03, Dave Brown wrote:
>> Hello list
>>
>> In 2012 they will be switching off the analogue signal and introducing
>> HD over dvb-t2 in our area.
>>
>> I understand dvb-t2 is fairly new but are there any recommendations for
>> a dvb-t2 card or usb device.  Preferably a dual tuner.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I have no experience of this, but I think this link tells you the state
> of the art for one device.  Don't try (some parts of this) at home!
>
>> http://stevekerrison.com/290e/

Seconded.
I have one of these and it works fine with linux version 3.0. I have
had it recording four programmes at once using multirec. Skipping in
DVB-T2 streams is not perfect and only fixable by the broadcaster but
the scrambled macroblocks disappear very quickly. If you need help
building 3.0 on Debian stable let me know. If you have more than one
DVB tuner you will have to fix the device names so that MythTV will
get the right ones. I have hacked /etc/default/mythtv-backend to make
nicely named symlinks just before the backend is started. You can type
the nice names into mythtv-setup when channel scanning or edit the
database afterwards.

case "$1" in
   start|restart)
   # Make symlinks from sensible names to the DVB tuners. There are
two types and
   # the devices are created in any order so keep separate counts.
   T=1
   T2=1

   # This is run each time MythTV is restarted so first clear out old ones.
   rm -f /dev/dvb/DVB-*

   # Scan the devices present.
   for frontend in /dev/dvb/adapter*/frontend0
   do
     adapter=${frontend%/frontend0}
     adapter=${adapter##*/}
     sys=$(udevadm info --query=path --name="$frontend")
     product=$(udevadm info --attribute-walk --path=$sys \
               | grep --invert-match 'EHCI Host Controller' \
               | grep 'ATTRS{product}==')
     case $product in
       # DVB-T tuners.
       *'ATTRS{product}=="Digital TV Receiver"')
         ln -s $adapter /dev/dvb/DVB-T_$T
         T=$((T + 1))
       ;;
       # DVB-T2 tuners.