[mythtv-users] MythTV on a laptop

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Nov 30 13:00:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Alex Feldman <grizdog at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'd like to get at least one unit
> that handles encrypted signals just to try it out.

There are basically three methods for doing decryption.

  1. Use a cable card tuner (HD HomeRun Prime, Ceton InfiniTV, or
Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650).  These cost more and require a cable card
rental.  They're also new and support for them is still evolving, but
are quite usable.  For mythTV, this requires that the cable company
sets the copy control byte in the broadcast to copy-freely (0).

  2. Use a cable company provided Set Top Box connected to your
backend via firewire.  This requires an HD STB rental, and that your
backend supports firewire.  This also requires that the cable company
does not use restrictive copy control settings.

  3. Use a cable company provided Set Top Box connected to your
backend via analog video.  For HD, this means the Hauppauge HDPVR
(1212).  For SD, this can be a lower end tuner such as a PVR 150.
This method works regardless of the copy control settings enforced by
the cable provider.

> Is my best bet to talk directly to the cable provider and ask them about
> tuners that will work with their system?  I'm afraid it might be
> difficult to get someone on the phone who understands what I am trying
> to do.

I wouldn't do that.  If you want to talk to the cable provider, ask
them about their policy for copy control flags for the channels you're
interested in.  Some providers have an official policy on this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

Eric