[mythtv-users] Playback of encrypted dvd iso images from storage group

Tyler T tylernt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 16:24:58 UTC 2011

> I'm well aware that several devs have publicly criticised my
> contributions (NIH is a wonderful virtue), and that anything to do with
> media copying, ripping and decryption is taboo, so it's pointless
> submitting these patches to Trac.

I read your thread on -dev and didn't see anyone discouraging your
patches on the basis of "piracy!" (though maybe you got some off-list
emails that did). Playback of encrypted DVDs seems to have at least
the tacit approval of the devs or else the option on the FE menu would
refuse to do it. And so far as I know (IANAL), making backups of your
DVDs is allowed by copyright laws and storing them encrypted should
not break the DMCA either.

Rather, the main objection to your earlier patch seemed to be the lack
of SG support -- and now that you have that, I think your patches
would be welcomed.