[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Tue Nov 29 15:38:44 UTC 2011

On Tue Nov 29, 2011 at 10:19:01AM -0500, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My big peeve with them is they use the horrible
> > "activity" model which makes doing anything outside of the activity
> > model a royal PITA.
>
> What do you mean by this? Do you mean it's one of those setups where
> (for example) the Play button will send 1 IR code when you select TV
> mode, and a different IR code when you select DVD mode?

Partly, yes.

Rather than being focussed around individual devices (as most remotes
are), it's focussed around "Activities" instead (though you can control
the individual devices as well). So I hit one button to "Watch
recordings" and it'll switch on the TV and amp, switch them to the
correct inputs and switch Myth to the Watch recordings screen. If I have
an external blu-ray player, I can then hit another button and it'll
switch that on and change the TV & amp to the new inputs (but won't try
to switch on the TV again as it knows that's already on).

This also means you can have the same button sending completely different
signals in different activities (to the same or to different devices).
With Myth it more usually means I have to setup exactly the same buttons
for each activity though, which is a bit of a PITA, but only (usually)
needs doing the once. It does mean I can have the volume buttons
controlling the amp, but the other buttons controlling Myth though.

If you do need to control the devices individually then you can switch
into "Device" mode, where the remote just controls the single device.
It's a couple of extra steps, but hardly a major PITA for the odd
occasion where it's needed.

Cheers,
    Robin
--