[mythtv-users] FYI: harmony 650 37.99 @ costco (instant 17 rebate)

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:25:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My big peeve with them is they use the horrible
>> "activity" model which makes doing anything outside of the activity
>> model a royal PITA.
>
> What do you mean by this? Do you mean it's one of those setups where
> (for example) the Play button will send 1 IR code when you select TV
> mode, and a different IR code when you select DVD mode?

no, all universal remotes do that (kind of a requirement), though some
have "punch-through" to let you do otherwise to certain buttons.

activity mode means there are buttons for activities like "watch tv",
"watch movie", "listen to music". You hit one of those buttons and the
remote will turn on and switch inputs on all the required devices for
this action. You can customize what is required for this in the
software, and so generally it works fine. The issue comes when you
select an action and one device does not receive the proper code, the
Logitech firmware does not allow you to hit the button for that action
again to "repeat" this signal sequence, so you either have to manually
go through the remote to find the button in that device's menu, or you
have to choose another activity, wait for it to complete, then go back
to that previous activity.

most other remotes use macro's to perform similar functions, except
they let you run the macro again at any time regardless of where you
are, so you don't have that issue.

the logitech leads to a lot of pointing the remote directly at your
equipment while standing up, arm out stretched, a funny sight
definitely. If they made the remotes 5lbs at least you could get a
good upper arm/shoulder workout from having to do it...

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!