[mythtv-users] MythTV on a laptop

Alex Feldman grizdog at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 12:49:07 UTC 2011

On 11/28/2011 10:25 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 1:54 PM, Alex Feldman <grizdog at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I live in the US and will be watching both OTA and cable - if this works
>> reasonably well I want to make several of them for friends
> Please don't top post.
>
> I am not qualified to advise on North American tuners, but I am sure
> there will be some USB ones available.
>
> As I say, your laptop will be OK for testing and getting used to
> mythtv, but you really want something bigger as a real solution. A
> separate backend and frontend is ideal. It means you can put your
> grunty large ugly noisy backend server in the basement, and a quiet
> frontend next to the TV.
>
> Beware of setting up systems for friends, that are not that easy to
> maintain remotely, and you WILL be expected to maintain them! (Been
> there, done that).

Sorry about the top posting.  It won't happen again.

The friends I would be doing this for understand the deal - as a group,
we've been here before.  But I know what you mean.

Indeed, the laptop may wind up just being the front end, once we get a
look at everything.  Everyone involved has a big desktop machine with
plenty of spare capacity.  So I guess that modifies the question:

Given I will be starting everything out on the laptop, but then moving
the backend to a desktop machine, and everything will be in the USA and
either OTA or cable, does it matter what kind of tuner card I get, and
if so, what should I look for?  I am particularly concerned about the
lirc - I have no experience at all with that technology.

Thanks for any help.