[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime, Cablecards and Mediacom Cable

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Nov 29 02:39:50 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
>  So
> the question is, should I continue the charade (and if so, what make
> and model should I give) or should I come clean and say it is for the
> HDHR Prime running on Linux?

Previously, I think it was often necessary to say it was a Tivo
because cable companies would often deny you the cablecard otherwise.
However, with the new FCC rules, they are no longer allowed to do so,
so the lie is no longer necessary. It might be a little more
convenient for dealing with clueless employees, but it seems with the
arrival of the new FCC rules, there's been a lot more people asking
for cablecards, so even the clueless should be catching on and getting
appropriate training by now.

That said, it's probably not necessary to go so far as to mention
Linux or mythtv. I'd just say you need a cablecard for you computer
and leave it at that. The only other info they'll need to know is the
host id from the device. What OS or software you are running has no
effect on their ability to configure it or the steps they need to take
(other than if they try to provide you step by step instructions for
locating your host id using Windows Media Center)

--
Ron Frazier