[mythtv-users] HDHR Prime, Cablecards and Mediacom Cable

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Nov 29 01:40:13 UTC 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Kenneth Emerson
<kenneth.emerson at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the question is, should I continue the charade (and if so, what make
> and model should I give) or should I come clean and say it is for the
> HDHR Prime running on Linux?
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with cablecards and Mediacom?

I don't have any experience with Mediacom, but I'd recommend that you
come clean.

You can't activate a cable card without specifying a device ID and I
believe the device ID identifies the manufacturer of the device, much
as how you can determine the manufacturer of an ethernet card based on
its default MAC address.

In other words, they're going to know what you've got eventually, so
you might as well fess up now.

Eric