[mythtv-users] watching mkv movies causes pausing problems

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Nov 28 18:04:10 UTC 2011

On 11/27/2011 23:25, Marc Williams wrote:
> On 11/27/2011 06:59 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> Opening the file in mkvmerge GUI (4.60) didn't give any information
>>> about frame rate, but viewing the file with mediainfo shows:
>>>

>>> Original display aspect ratio : 16:9
>>> Frame rate : 29.970 fps
>>> Standard : NTSC
>>> Resolution : 8 bits
>> Pull the existing file into mkvmerge, select the video stream, and under
>> 'format specific options', set the FPS to 24000/1001.  See if the
>> resulting file behaves properly.
> Well, what d'ya know?  This worked!  Mostly.
>
> I ran my copy of Adjustment Bureau through mkvmerge with your suggestion
> and then tested it.  It cured the problem of pauses resuming at a
> different location in the movie.  That's terrific!  However, the "Time
> Remaining" barometer still showed incorrect time remaining.  For me,
> that's relatively minor.  Thanks for the tip!

Just a sanity check with Taylor Ralph to make sure I'm not telling you
to do something horribly bad.

<taylorr> wagnerrp: if they are happy with changing the FPS to 23.976
then that's fine... however, what is happening is that the AV-sync code
is constantly making adjustments to speed up frames at times.
<taylorr> basically, 29.97 fps + frame repeats = 23.976 fps if you
change it to 23.976 + frame repeats then you are technically playing the
video back too slow
<taylorr> plus you aren't properly displaying each frame for the proper
interval
<taylorr> with all that said, it's probably not very noticeable for most
people

In other words, the above solution is not the correct solution, but is
one that makes the current player work... mostly.  Seeking will work
properly, but playback might have a bit of visible jitter.  If it works
well enough now, it's a quick change amounting to little more than a
file copy, and more importantly can be reverted just as easily.
However, if the files don't work properly elsewhere, or in later,
improved versions of the internal player, remember that you made this
change.