[mythtv-users] VDPAU on flash

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 27 13:32:58 UTC 2011

On 11/27/2011 07:56 AM, Josu Lazkano wrote:
> 2011/11/27 David Watkins:
>>> But it doesn't work. I try with Iceweasel (Firefox) and Chromium, but
>>> the CPU goes to 90% on 1080p videos. I try to activate the HTML5 on
>>> Youtube, but it doesn't work.
>>>
>>> Is there anyone with working flash video acceleration?
>> I'm pretty sure VDPAU doesn't support flash.
> Thanks for your reply David, I read some post about this:
>
> http://www.linuxtech.net/news/VDPAU_Support_Coming_in_Adobe_Flash_Plugin.html
> http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php?topic=91879.0
>
> I will continue searching more info about this, it will be great to
> accelerate Youtube videos on ION boards.
>
> Best regards.

It's not up to you whether you get to use hardware accelerated decoding
for Flash content.  It's up to the site designer/HTML page.  The
designer has to enable Stage Video

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/stagevideo.html
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/stage_video.html

I'm not sure of the current state for most sites, but based on the
terrible playback quality I've seen on most network websites and Hulu,
I'm guessing many choose not to use Stage Video.

Mike