[mythtv-users] Video + Audio works with MythTV and VLC but no Audio with web browsers

Kris B. krisbee at krisbee.com
Sat Nov 26 20:20:41 UTC 2011

On Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:19 AM, "rawgarlic at gmail.com"
<rawgarlic at gmail.com> wrote:
> You didn't mention this, but you have two sound cards?
> And you are trying to make the second card the primary card?
> --
>   Kris B.
>   krisbee at krisbee.com

> Sorry about that. You are correct.
> There are 2 sound cards in this system.
>
> The C-Media CM8738 is "/dev/dsp1".
> I was not really trying to make anything the primary audio card.
> Just want the web browsers to use utilize the same audio output device.

Well, that's the thing - you have to.
Try:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-software-2/how-to-configure-flash-9-in-firefox-to-use-a-specific-alsa-device-629183/#post3317793

Most things expect to go to /dev/dsp and not /dev/dsp1... I have two
sound cards, so I just made sure to setup my main card as /dsp using the
module options listed also on that thread.  It is hard to make
everything bend to the non-standard, but of course it can be done.  I
would try the .asoundrc option first.

--
  Kris B.
  krisbee at krisbee.com