[mythtv-users] Reliability of HDTV flag in Schedules Direct listings

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Nov 24 18:48:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:
> If the show is marked in the guide data as HD, but the file is not, mark it
> for re-recording and/or delete it.

I haven't actually seen that.  It's always been the other way.  The
show is not marked in the listings as HD, even though it is.

>> Do you remove channels that never show HDTV for which there is an HDTV
>> equivalent?  I don't get any channels in HD for which there isn't also
>> an SD equivalent, so any HD program available is also available in SD.
>
> You can do that, or you can mark a channel as hidden and remove the
> xmltvid, which will have the same effect.  Of course in your scenario it
> wouldn't make much of a difference.

Had I not had the SD channels available, I think it certainly would have.

>>> I have an additional recording rule that
>>> re-records HDTV versions of SDTV Nova episodes
>> Doesn't that also rely on the listings flags?
>
> Yes, but considering he already has an SD copy of the episode, there is
> nothing to be lost in recording another SD copy, mistakenly thinking it
> is HD.

In this case, it would do nothing at all, since the second copy would
not be marked in the listings as HD and there would be no second
recording.

> You can complain to SD, who will complain to TMS, who may
> complain to the affiliate, but it all comes down to the fact that TMS
> gave you the most accurate information it could, which was wrong because
> the affiliate lied.  There's not much recourse against such a situation.

I disagree.  Anyone with two brain cells would look at this and see
immediately that this was wrong.  There's no way that CBS-HD or NBC-HD
is going to be broadcasting the second highest rated annual event in
SD.

Eric