[mythtv-users] Problems with MythNetVision

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Nov 24 16:31:53 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 09:50 AM, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Can anyone offer any suggestions?
>
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:47:33 +0000, kae said:
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I'm running Myth 0.24.1+fixes20111029-0.1squeeze1, which is the current
>> Debian version from their multimedia repositories.
>>
>> I've tried setting up MythNetVision by following
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythNetvision
>>
>> I can browse a list of programs, say on the BBC iPlayer, but when I
>> select one, I see a (browser?) window that is almost, but not quite,
>> full screen, with a "play" icon in the middle. Is this the expected
>> behaviour? I've never been able to get the program to play, even when
>> using a mouse.
>>
>> Also: should I be able to see HD programs from iPlayer?
>>
>> Grateful for any help.

I don't know a lot of details, but I can say that Mythnetvision is
designed to abide by the Terms of Service required of the various
providers.  For some providers, that allows us to download a video and
play it in the Internal player, but for most, it means displaying a web
page with a Flash video embedded in it.  TTBOMK, some sites display the
video and start playback, but others just display the place holder for
the video and require you to start playback when you're ready.

In unstable/development code, there is support for controlling the video
playback using JavaScript player APIs that /some/ players make
available.  So, for those sites that provide such controls,
unstable/development code would be able to start playback (even if the
site doesn't do so automatically) and allows control with the normal
MythTV commands/remote/...  Whether iPlayer provides such an API, and
whether the unstable/development version of the iPlayer grabber supports
the API, though, I can't tell you.

Without such an API (and remember that 0.24-fixes doesn't have the API
support), interacting with the Flash-based players requires use of a
mouse.  So, (not having ever used--nor even being able to use, iPlayer),
it seems reasonable that the behavior you see may be the expected
behavior--at least in 0.24-fixes.

Mike